When I made this Cauliflower Fried Rice with Sausage, my husband said it was his favorite “replacement” meal to date. My husband is a huge fan of authentic Asian cuisine, so that makes this dish a hit in our book!
- ground pork sausage (plain)
- 1 large head cauliflower
- red pepper
- 1-10 oz package organic mixed veggies – including peas, carrots, green beans, corn (eliminate corn for grain-free option)
- 3 eggs, preferably from pastured hens (leave out for egg-free option)
- sesame oil or coconut oil
- rice wine vinegar, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1 Tbsp. + 3 Tbsp. Tamari sauce or coconut aminos, or more, to taste
- two pinches red pepper flake
- In a large skillet, brown pork sausage with 1 tablespoon Tamari or coconut aminos, plus garlic powder, ginger, and one pinch red pepper flake. Set aside.
- Dice red pepper and set aside.
- In a food processor or with a box grater, “rice” cauliflower.
- In a large bowl, blend cauliflower with Tamari or coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, and a pinch of red pepper flake.
- Heat a large wok or skillet with oil. When nice and hot, cook cauliflower in batches until tender. When done, set aside in a serving dish.
- Next, make sure the wok or skillet is hot again and add oil. Then, cook red pepper until tender but firm, then add to bowl with the cauliflower.
- Next, make sure the wok or skillet is hot again and add oil. Then, add frozen mixed veggies and cook until tender.
- Return cauliflower, red pepper, and sausage to the wok or skillet to re-heat. Add egg and stir until cooked.
- Serve hot with extra Tamari or coconut aminos, if desired.
Update: this dish makes great leftovers! The next morning, I put some coconut oil in a skillet, heated the “rice,” and stirred in a scrambled egg. It made a delicious veggie-and-protein-packed breakfast!