This is a fantastic low carb option for an old favorite: lasagna. You’ll never miss the high starch noodles!
- 3 zucchini
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil for pan
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage, preferably from pastured pigs
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder OR 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 24 oz jar organic pasta sauce
- 15 oz Ricotta or cottage cheese (whole fat)
- 1 egg, preferably from pastured hens
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella
1. Slice zucchini in 1/4 inch slices lengthwise. Salt the slices and let sit for about 10 minutes, which will draw moisture from the zucchini.
2. Meanwhile, brown ground pork sausage in a pan with oregano, basil, and garlic powder or minced garlic cloves. Once brown, add pasta sauce and simmer on medium-low.
3. For the zucchini, heat a large skillet on high to melt coconut oil. Add zucchini slices and cook on medium-high heat on both sides until brown.
4. In a large mixing bowl, blend ricotta, egg, and Parmesan cheese.
5. In a large baking dish (13×9″), layer sauce, zucchini “Noodles,” ricotta mixture, and mozzarella twice each. When layering the zucchini, don’t be afraid to use plenty for each layer and let them overlap.
6. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 20-30 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.