This recipe is based on the recipe by the same name in Learning to Bake Allergen-Free by Colette Martin.
Cake Batter Ingredients:
2 cups gluten-free flour blend
1/2 t. xanthan gum
3 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
4 T. (1/2 stick) butter or coconut oil
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs (or for egg-free 3 t. egg replacer)
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. coconut milk or other milk (if using egg replacer increase to 1 c.)
1 t. vanilla
Streusel Topping Ingredients
2/3 oat flour (ground GF oats)
3/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
3 T. butter or cold coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix gluten-free flour blend, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend eggs or egg replacer, applesauce, milk, and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, cream sugar and butter.
- Slowly add egg or egg replacer mixture to sugar and butter mixture.
- Slowly add flour mixture to sugar and butter mixture.
- Pour into greased 9×9″ baking dish.
- Blend oat flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cut butter into oat flour mixture.
- Top on cake batter mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean from center of cake. (If you used egg replacer version, the cake may only take 35 minutes.)